Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia is scheduled to lead a government delegation this morning to the community, to assess the extent of damage and commiserate with the bereaved families.
According to the Minister of Information, the government had since activated a national emergency response mechanism of, which personnel from the Police Service, Armed Forces, Fire Service, National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) and the Municipal Authority to help those affected and bring relief to residents of the town.
The statement said additional personnel and resources had been dispatched to the community to support the ongoing response effort.
It said an alternative route had been created to facilitate the movement of stranded vehicles plying that route while all hospitals within the vicinity were being used to treat injured persons, and an evacuation plan was activated to move those in critical conditions to medical facilities in Accra so they could get the needed assistance.
The statement said to forestall a secondary explosion at the site, a joint team of police and military explosion experts had been deployed to examine the situation and put in place requisite measures.
Meanwhile, the government has indicated that some efforts to get stranded community members shelter and other basic necessities in the days ahead had been set in motion.
“We would want to urge the public to remain calm and obtain regular updates from the national emergency response team,” the statement said.
At 1100 hours on Friday, January 21, the emergency response team will provide updates from the scene of the incident,” it stated.
“Also, the government has commended the Police Service, Fire Service, NADMO, Ghana Health Service, National Ambulance Service, and the Municipal Authority, health professionals in the medical facilities within the vicinity, and local residents for their assistance so far.
“Government further expresses deep condolences to the families of the deceased and sends best wishes to the injured for their speedy recovery, as relief and containment efforts continue and the situation is brought under considerable control,” the statement said.